Friday, September 23, 2011

Reflections on 331 Third reading Assignment

 Chapter Ate

            This chapter contains more information on more subjects with more references to more web resources than any of the 7 chapters that I previously read.  As I reflect on my interaction with the reading, you should get a good idea as to how I consume a reading.  When I read a chapter for the first time I get little out of it.  But, I gain a perception of its content.  As the second reading proceeds I underline, circle or in some way identify parts of the book as to important big ideas and as to what content represents labs.  Then, I do as much lab work as possible and read the chapter again looking for more details in the content that relate to things I did in lab and to the things I will do in the future.

The Labs

            So, for the lab part of my reading, I installed Skype, got a webcam, learned to use it, downloaded Jing and Screencast and practiced making short screencasts to get ready for my screencast and podcasting projects.  All in all, this took about a full day.  I finished at about 300hrs.  I viewed video tutorials and I explored the podcast collages in teachertube, tinyurl.com/6aalqr and tinyurl.com/qqg4kg.  These gave me a good look at what I might be able to do as my skills develop.
I also examined Jing Pro and Camicast programs where screencasts and podcasts can be edited.  These cost about $500 per year each but Camicast does give a 30 day trial free.  So, I will be able to edit.  At the same time another partner is teaching me to use prezi for a project and within prezi is the capability to embed video material (http://prezi.com/6skfzaudebyu/whats-in-the-black-box/).
Another Look

            So, then I read it again looking for more specifics of interest.  I identified things like video streaming that I am not ready for and saved its lab for a future date.  I also saved Educational Podcast Network for later because therer just isn’t enough time right now to do everything.  Finally, I looked for the sales pitch.  What I mean is that I looked for substantive arguments that explain why I should care.  These boiled down to ways to use the technology to enhance student learning.

Why Should I Care?

            I watch kids during 4th block at Adams-Friendship HS.  They roam the halls with a video camera either looking for neat stuff or they are on assignment for their technology class filming the script for tomorrow’s TV broadcast during second block.  They like it and what they are learning.  I like it because its fun.  The final product instills a certain level of pride in every participant and even in the other nonparticipating peers.  They are learning and the average student scores 40 points above Wisconsin means on tests like SAT and ACT.  Their product is evidence of their accomplishments that I can see.  More important it is evidence that they can see and that makes all the difference because it makes it all so relevant.  In my professional life it was the thrill of having papers accepted for publication through the peer review process.  It was the game, the fight and the success of winning.  It’s a hoot; it’s a thrill; it’s bragging rights!  Just look at any professor’s curriculum vitae.  What do we highlight?  Our bragging rights relate to the number of refereed publications and the amounts of money we secured from grants and donations.  They are tangible and they are cool!  So, it’s no wonder that kids who have hands on use of technology learn more content.

                                        
                                                                         Insert: 
I had to leave this for an hour to watch 20/20 show about how people use YouTube to become very successful and very wealthy.  What a neat coincidence.

Take a Kid Hunting

            So, anyway, sportsmen say, “take a kid hunting” and this is supposed to help them grow up without getting into trouble and hanging with the wrong crowd.  Maybe doing exercises with technology is the new “hunting” experience.  When I worked at Louisiana State University, I took every student in my wildlife classes hunting.  I prepared them to do it correctly and successfully.  Every hunt was individual and no student ever missed their deer.  Every student got a deer.  This might sound a little impossible.  But it really happened because I had the resource and developed the skills to make it happen.  I was the best deer hunter and the best hunting guide (for neophytes).  I attended to the details and made it happen.  So, technology is the new gun and students are the young hunters.  Teachers are the hunting guides who must be able to use the gun with such expertise that they can ensure students will be successful in their hunts.

No comments: