Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Rethinking 6

"Perhaps the most revolutionary idea advanced by Horace Mann and his colleaugues was for the state to take over responsibility for educating children from their parents." Page 91

When I was a teen, all we ever heard was how the Russians would instill kids with propaganda and that good Russian word became a bad word for us.  But, "This often led to children developing attitudes and values that their parents did not share." Page 92  And, to insure that parents did not interfere, kids were physically removed from their parents' homes to live in a state dormitory.  Then, they would be assessed as to aptitude and trained to be a professional in that area.  So, we ended up with serious controversies regarding whether Russian olympians were amatures or really professionals.  Who would have thought that we were doing much the same thing just in another way.

"When the student completes the problem, the computer might review the procedure with the student, pointing out the criticakl steps to solve the problem and the general ideas that the problem encompassed." page 97

In the question of computer learning without a teacher, I don't see that it could be effective for young students.  My opinion is colored by an experience I had learning algebra from TMAC in 8th or 9th grade.  I was given a book to work through problems at my own pace.  Once I learned a section, I could test out and go to the next.  I did well but never really learned algebra.  So, I really struggled in trigonomettry and calculus courses later.  I always knew that I had never really learned algebra by that method and have never made it up by taking a real algebra course.  Maybe, I can learn online regarding those things I want to learn, but will children learn core subjects by that method without guidance?  In addition, would it be easier to brainwash kids with just a computer?  I suspect that it would.  I think it takes a human teacher who kids interact with to ensure thast they can actually think critically about things. I pledge allegiance to the ..............

"..........what will happen to learners who are unwilling or unable to take advantage of the technologies the diverse lifelong-learning environment?"  Page 104

At the end rthe authors ask this question.  I don't know the answer but maybe schools will have fewer students to concentrate their efforts on.  Maybe all schools will be privatized and only available to those who can pay.  Maybe students will see education as more relevant and valuable then.  Maybe education will be more relevant and valuable then.  I think teachers should charge more money for their services.  Right now, public education is obviously not worth much.  Maybe we should sell education insurance?  We really ought to be selling prison insurance also in high schools.  This is actually justified because more people will go to prison than will be in a serious car accident.

No comments: